Looking for some practical tips to improve your relationship with your spouse? Jim Alexander, LCSW, with the Meier Clinic, gives these helpful suggestions.
1) Keep dating! Couples who grow their marital friendship have a bond that sustains them in more difficult times. Ideas? Take turns planning the date from start to finish. Also be sure to alternate activities so that one month you are doing the familiar “tried and true” and then the next month you are trying something new.
– I love you
– You do some things very well – even better than me.
– I find you physically and emotionally attractive.
– I appreciate your contributions to our marriage.
– I trust your judgment.I respect your opinion.
– I care deeply about your well-being…now and always. (Philippians 2:4)
6) Touch one another! Holding hands, arm around the waist, one decently passionate kiss each day. A prolonged hug speaks more than almost anything else. That kind of hug says with great meaning that “I never want to let you go.” These daily doses of affection do not mean it is time to engage in sexual intimacy. These daily doses do improve the quality of sexual intimacy more than any other “method”. However, sex may happen later in the week. The daily dose reminds each of you whom you love.
Jim Alexander is a licensed clinical psychotherapist at the Meier Clinics in Fairfax, VA.