I am an unabashed patriot. In spite of all our flaws and problems, I believe that The United States of America is the greatest country in the world. It is in that spirit that this year’s spring concert of The David Johnson Chorus will be a celebration of America.
The first half of the show will feature popular American music that has been sung around the world.
- A medley of song’s from Disney’s “Frozen”
- From the 40’s: Oscar & Hammerstein’s “You’ll Never Walk Alone” combined with “Climb Ev’ry Mountain”
- From the 50’s: a medley of Ray Charles’ most famous songs
- From the 60’s: a rousing 10-minute medley of songs by The Four Seasons (whose music enjoyed a resurgence after the musical “Jersey Boys”)
- Also from the 60’s: a pulse-driving medley of The Beach Boys
- And from 1969 an unforgettable arrangement of Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
In the second half of the show, we will feature songs about America’s greatness.
- We’ll begin with a medley of Irving Berlin’s music that concludes with, perhaps his most famous song, “God Bless America.”
- Following the bombing of the World Trade Center on 9/11, Joseph and Pamela Marten composed “Song For The Unsung Hero” that salutes all first responders.
- “American Anthem”challenges us to look at where we’ve come from and raises the question are we going to carry forward that legacy into the future.
- After Celtic Woman toured America they recorded “O America,” a song that celebrates America as beacon that draws people to it.
- “America, the Beautiful,” by Katherine Bates and Samuel Ward, is the quintessential patriotic song. We will be singing all the verses of this wonderful song.
- Mark Hayes is one of the most talented arrangers of choral music. He takes My Country, ‘Tis of Thee, America, The Beautiful, and This Is My Country and weaves them together in a gospel style that is mesmerizing.
- And we will close out the show with a medley of all the fight songs of each branch of the military, followed by God Bless America.
If you celebrate the greatness of America as I do, you won’t want to miss this show.
Come join us at one of these venues:
- May 14 – Union City (TN) (Cumberland Presbyterian Church)
- May 21 – Senatobia, Mississippi (The Baddour Center)
- May 21 – Cordova, TN (Covenant United Methodist Church)
- June 4 – Dresden, TN (Dresden Elementary School)
- June 11 – McKenzie, TN (McKenzie Church of Christ)